The image: Who knew "Weinergate" could be so profitable? The sexting scandal surrounding humiliated Rep. Anthony Weiner (D-N.Y.) has spawned Weiner-themed condoms, T-shirts, and, now, an "anatomically correct" action figure. HeroBuilders — the same Connecticut company that produced the "Rambama" Obama Navy SEAL doll — is now selling two versions of an Anthony Weiner action figure. (See the photos below.) Both dolls sport a white T-shirt and boxer shorts branded with the phrase "Tweet This." One, however, is a "Ken" version, while the other "comes fully equipped with a crotch bulge." The PG-13 version is being sold for $39.95; an R-rated Weiner goes for $49.95. Within 24 hours of the product's launch, the company sold 250 dolls — all the "enhanced" edition.
The reaction: "Do you need a gift for a person that has everything?" asks Renee Phillips at Free Republic, because it's "guaranteed" they don't own this. While there is an "entrepreneurial spirit" here that's to be admired, says James Joyner at Outside the Beltway, "it's a bizarre product" that is exploitative and "crosses the line." Judge for yourself:
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- The simple trick to making better decisions in every aspect of life
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 6 simple steps for making millions on a crappy horror movie
- Why 2014 may be as good as it gets for the Republican Party
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
Subscribe to the Week